Dear WRTC2006 Brothers:
One month has passed, full of intense and good memories from WRTC2006!
The Organizers of the WRTC2006 will never have sufficient and proper words to express our recognition and gratitude to all of you for the fantastic support we received from the entire Ham Radio community.
WRTC, being an amateur event, is totally dependent on volunteer work donated by our Ham Radio family. We knew that from the beginning, but honestly, we never thought that we would get such support and help from so many friends around the world.
We share our pride with all those friends whom transformed this dream into a reality with the following major achievements:
1) The use of totally open processes to develop the rules and selection process.
2) The promotion of global participation in the WRTC event – all Continents were present – North America, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania.
3) 38 Entities gave us the honor of their participation
The Czech Republic team faced unfortunate problems with their VARIG flight and did not succeed in attending. We apologize for that.
The Judging Committee developed a new random draw for referees allowing WRTC2006 to insure different nationalities for referees and competitors. Random recording of contest audio was also provided.
5) Due the distance from Brazil to most contester populations, WRTC2006 provided a 2-element beam for 40 meters and an ACOM 1010 linear amplifier for all teams.
6) In a common effort, WRTC2006 and the YASME Foundation made it possible to offer four positions to Young Teams.
7) With support from 4L5A, our friend Al, a special YL Team was created.
8) Using eight PY contest stations located in Southern Brazil, we created a new sub-competition in WRTC2006 for Multi-National Multi-Operator Teams. Integration of foreigners and Brazilians was achieved, putting together 16 foreigners with approximately 25 locals.
9) With the main objective to promote both CW and SSB, WRTC2006 created separate incentive prizes for CW and SSB QSO totals.
10) In order to motivate the teams to submit the most accurate log, WRTC2006 offered a special award and plaque for the most accurate log in the 20 top scores.
11) Several prizes were offered to stations that worked the WRTC2006 teams.
12) With the objective to publicly recognize the important role of the volunteer work we decided to nominate SM0CXU as the epitome of the Volunteer Work Champion.
13) Having our Headquarters in Florianopolis at the Hotel Costao do Santinho, we tried to mix competition with pleasure and the enjoyment of Nature.
So again we deeply thank the following groups of entities and friends:
- WRTC Sanctioning Committee
- WRTCs previous organizers
- Araucaria Dx Group
- Ministry of Culture
- Navy & Army
- Customs Authorities
- City Authorities of Florianopolis
- Celesc (Utility Company)
- Hired Companies
- Sponsors – Private Companies, Equipment donors, Hams, and DX and Contest Clubs.
- WRTC2006 Committees: Honorary Board, Steering, Fundraising, Judging, Log Checking, Scoreboard, Technical, Logistics.
- MN MS competitors
The organizers, together with this group of people, made it possible to offer you an event at the same level of the previous WRTCs.
We are perfectly aware that despite such effort, everything can always be better, and we apologize for the unintentional mistakes and errors that occurred. One of the major challenges was to put together 47 similar stations with equal antennas, towers, and linears. Unfortunately some of the sites where not as perfect as we wished.
In two specific cases we were not able to solve all the problems in due time and the WRTC2006 organizers apologize for it. The performance of teams PW5T (UA9AM / RZ3AA) and PT5T (PY2YU/PY1NX) was severely affected by unexpected technical problems that were our responsibility. We are sure that both teams could have a much better result under normal circumstances.
The organizers of WRTC 2006 are committed to offer the same support to the next WRTC as we received from the previous WRTC organizers and we are totally sure that all together we can gradually build up a event as close as possible to our common dream.
God bless you all and OBRIGADO
Atilano de Oms
WRTC2006 Steering Committee.