Hello my dear WRTC2006’s Brothers and Friends,
In view of the huge number of generous e-mails with the positive comments to the WRTC2006, I am taking the freedom to use the Reflector to show my gratitude and at same time give some information about the Event.
We are really very happy for the success of the WRTC2006, happiness that we share with all those that direct or indirect participated and supported this Event.
We received help with voluntary work from so many people, a group that got much bigger than expected. Also, those contracted to do specific works for WRTC2006 passionately worked for the project and did much more than their contractual obligations stipulated.
To avoid making any injustice, I will not mention any names.
I also like to mention some fundamental commitments pursued by the Committee.
1) From the beginning, the Organization Committee had transparency as a top commitment.
Although we knew that it would cause controversy, for the first time in the history of WRTC we created an open selection process where we gave the opportunity to disagree and give suggestions. I hope that this principle of transparency will be used in future WRTCs, improvements can be done along the way, but never abandon the principle.
2) In the same way we committed to a globalization to optimize the participation to the entire planet. For the first time, all the Continents were represented: North America, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania. 34 countries were represented in the WRTC2006 Contest and with the MN MS participants; we reach a total of 37 countries.
3) We also committed to create opportunities for Youth participation in the event and made four (3+1) team-positions available for this new classification in the competition.
4) We gave also the opportunity for ladies’ participation in the event (P43E, Emily and WA1S, Ann).
5) To make it possible to cover our Budget, we had to have our project approved by the Ministry of Culture. Thanks to this, our Fundraising was made possible in Brazil and this was in addition to the big help from abroad by collections by our Fundraising Committee.
6) We wished to offer our visitors from abroad hosting that would demonstrate our intentions to receive them in the best way. Our arrangement with Hotel Costão do Santinho was a necessity to comply with these objectives. Obviously, the beautiful nature at the hotel that God has created was the major reason to the success.
7) The Station Hosts represented an essential factor in the quality of service to our Teams and Referees. We had a brilliant participation of friendly people that are not even radio-amateurs and they provided an outstanding support. Thanks.
8) We had to identify similar sites (51) that could provide equal conditions to all competitors. The job executed by our friends in charge for that challenge was quite hard. We also received the essential support of CELESC in providing reliable mains supply. Thanks.
9) As we are at the minimum of this Sunspot Cycle and as we are far away from the radio-amateur populations, we had to deviate from previous WRTC standards and optimize the stations by adding a 2 element beam for 40 meters and a linear amplifier. This was made possible, thanks to the cooperation by our Sponsors.
10) We had committed to create a new category for Multi-National Multi-Single (MN MS) Stations, utilizing existing contest stations Southern Brazil. The objective was to promote integration and understanding between foreign and Brazilian contesters. This was also a success that was provided by the eight participating stations.
11) To be able to cope with the work load, we organized several committees: Log Checking Committee, Judging Committee, Scoreboard Committee, Site/Station Committees, Social Events and Services Committees. We thank all the participants of these Committees for the all the good work done.
12) Several companies worked with us in various areas. We also thank them for their important services.
13) Of course all this was possible because of the generosity of our sponsors, such as companies as well as private persons (our friends) – Thanks to them all.
14) We committed as well to arrange special service by the airports’ authorities for our visitors from abroad. The Federal Tax Office, Federal Police and Infraero, at Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba and Florianópolis airports were exceptional. Thanks.
15) It is clear that the success of this event depends in great extent to the presence of its participants; WRTC2006 competitors, MN MS participants, Judges, Officials and Visitors. We were very grateful to the attendance of approximately 500 people at our closing ceremony. Thanks.
Friends, the merit of the success of the WRTC2006 belongs to all the friends that approach each WRTC with the philosophy of the Olympic Games. The spirit of fraternity shown in our event is close to the most hospitable events that I have had opportunity to participate – Previous WRTCs
I thank you all for the kind e-mails extending congratulations to these groups of fabulous VOLUNTEERS!
A big hug and thank you all.
Atilano de Oms